For us, sustainability is more than a term – it is a concept. We see it as the interaction between economy, ecology, and social responsibility. We seek to design our products from the production through the wearing to the disposal in a way to minimize waste and negative consequences for our environment.
Our main cornerstones to act sustainably are fairness, eco-friendliness, and naturalness.
Gottstein as a sustainable producer and brand:
We have a genuine love for Mother Nature and are ready to take responsibility for the future of our planet. Since our foundation, our guiding principle is a famous saying from Charles Darwin:
“Whatever goes against nature’s way will not last for long”
We are well aware that nature is our basis for survival. Today, we know that natural resources are limited. It is in our hands to support nature in its beauty and diversity. As a manufacturer we see our company and all our employees responsible. It is in our hands to preserve nature in its beauty and diversity. Since years, we continuously invest into resource efficiency and the development of sustainable and client individual products.
Our main question is:
How can we use as few resources as possible in order to produce as sustainably as possible?”
We see resource efficiency not as a challenge but as a chance. The avoidance and reduction of waste and pollution is integrated in all our processes.
Here you can see some facts of how sustainable we really are:
- A large part of our energy stems from renewable alternative energy sources – from hydro power to solar power.
- Short transport routes inside company and to suppliers and customers are standard
- Our primary resource is natural and re-growing wool
- An intelligent thermal management system that is capable of heat recovery is installed at our production site
- We guarantee fair wages and social and healthy working conditions for all our employees
- A large part of our wool is undyed and sourced from Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and other Nordic countries.
- We support endangered sheep species (see Species Protection)
- We felt in pure mountain water without adding chemicals or auxiliary material.
Our natural Resources
For our production we use mainly natural, regrowing resources that we process with greatest care and minimum waste. This creates long-lasting and high quality products.
Sustainable Processes - Felting and Knitting
Our felting and knitting processes happen under the application of traditional methods and techniques. The processes themselves are very old and we have refined them eversince. To get to where we are now, we have taken some major technological steps and innovations in the past. This has enabled us to become absolutely natural in our production. In all our felting and knitting processes, we use exclusively pure Tyrolean Mountain Water and go without any chemical auxiliaries. Therefore, the used water is not being contaminated. This makes our primary production processes completely natural and non-polluting.
Our Magicfelt and Stegmann slippers are made by hand on a traditional shoe last. The felt is formed in pure alpine mountain water. Then, we add soles made from leather, cork, and felt with rubber glue. Rubber is a natural and re-growing resource that is harvested from trees. The rubber trees are tapped and the liquid is collected in containers. After the tapping, the tree can regenerate.
Discover our beautiful shoes:
Corporate Carbon Footprint - We are climate neutral
"It is our ambition to pollute our environment as little as possible. Thanks to our compensation program our emissions are zero now."
Gottstein is climate neutral. Together with the organization zukunftswerk we test our company every year for the emissions of carbon dioxide. The so called Corporate Carbon Footprint calculates the footprint of all business activities and is therefore the basis for our climate policy and climate protection.
Do we emit CO2?
For manufacturing companies the emission of carbon dioxide is inevitable to a certain degree. The emissions come from the usage of our machinery, the heating system of the building and office and the home-workplace commute. This requires energy. Additionally, our production materials wool, cork, rubber, and yarn cause a certain carbon dioxide emission until they arrive at our company and our outbound logistics, too.
How do we reduce emissions?
We are not naive to believe we can go without all emissions just because some factors - such as transportation - are inevitable. Yet it is our ambition to minimize the emissions as much as possible. This is why we work with highly energy-efficient machines and optimize the capacities of our machinery. This helps to save energy. Additionally, a large part of our value chain is made by hand where no carbon dioxide is expelled.
The best way for us to reduce emissions is the choice of our production materials. Since we almost exclusively work with regrowing resources such as wool, cork and rubber, the environmental burden is minimal. Our environmental consciousness is beneficial for our felt slippers and clogs from Magicfelt and Stegmann and for our boiled wool slippers from Kitz-pichler. We have even planted trees on our company premises.
Nevertheless we are aware that we are not able to completely prevent the exhaustion of carbon dioxide. This is why we support projects for the creation of ecological energy and renewable energy. Thus, we are proud to say that we support the climate protection with a very effective and successful program. And we do this every year.
What can I as a single person do?
In this course we also want to encourage every company to become climate neutral certified. But not only companies, also every single person should act on behalf of our beautiful earth. It is important to create awareness for our planet and to support the environment actively. A lot of small acts make a great impact. Here we have collected some measures every one can do to reduce emissions:
- Buy regional products - this reduces redundant transportation
- switch on electronic devices only if you really need them - TV, computer, printer: Only switch them on if you need them
- Recycle: It makes a big impact to seperate and recycle waste
- Avoid Packaging - especially in the super market there are often useless packages. Never use packed apples or bananas. They have a natural packaging with their skin already.
- Use your bicycle or public transportation: It is also possible to move without a car. Especially for short distances or in urban areas it is often faster and saves time to use other means of transportation.
- Drive on low tours: Use the highest possible gear and shift into the next gear as soon as possible. This reduces emssions and does not harm the engine.
- Talk about climate protection - talk to your friends and family about what every single person can do. Just as we do.n Planeten zu schützen.
These are just a number of tips and tricks to make a small impact on climate protection. The awareness is a first vital step to save our planet. Be aware that the future is in the hands of everyone.